Today we live in a world full of information and thousands of responsibilities, which is why we often do not have time to rest.
Consequences of lack of time for rest
This has been discussed in many publications. For example, the staff of the Institute of Sleep in Madrid said that if we do not rest, we may experience the following symptoms:
- bad mood
- less ability to cope with frustration
- lack of concentration
- memory problems
In addition to these effects, other studies emphasize the fact that there is a clear relationship between sleep or rest hours and quality of life.
No doubt you know all this because we hear it all the time. However, sometimes work or study does not leave us enough hours a day to relax properly.
What can we do to change this?
So how do we avoid feeling tired when our lives are so busy and we barely have seconds between notifications on the phone, uncompleted tasks, unanswered messages, and other stimuli we constantly receive?
First, it should be noted that there is a difference between physical and mental fatigue. However, both of them have their consequences.
Research on this topic suggests that when we experience mental fatigue, we may experience feelings of failure, hopelessness, and helplessness, as well as low self-esteem, anxiety, and an inability to concentrate.
As for physical fatigue, it can lead to headaches and joint disorders, as well as sleep disorders.
Of course, this affects behavior, because a tired person may consume excessive coffee or other stimulants.
Also, it can lead to poor productivity at the personal and work level. It can also lead to interpersonal conflicts, both in the family and in the work environment.
What you can do for better relaxation?
Here are some strategies you can use to improve your quality of life:
- First, understand that you and your physical, mental, and emotional health are a priority.
- Try to be in silence. This is important to feel at peace. We already know that it is difficult to live without noise, especially in cities, but you can not turn on the radio one day a week in the car. You can also take a shower without listening to music, or try meditation to calm your thoughts.
- Turn off your phone for a while, as well as any screens near you, so as not to be distracted by the sounds of notifications. This way, you will not be affected by screen light, which experts say can be very harmful.
- Find out if there are any issues you need to address that are emotionally troubling. You need to learn to let them go, even if it means forgiveness.
- Delegate responsibilities in your workplace. You may think that nothing will work without your participation, but learn to trust your team and give them tasks according to their abilities.
- See how it goes and, if necessary, make some changes to your daily routine.
- Help yourself with a pleasant massage.
We often take on ourselves too much, but in the end, it ends badly for us.
The Greek philosopher Epicurus proposed an approach that will be useful to us today. He said that we should strive to live for maximum pleasure, but we can also find this satisfaction in everyday things, such as food, pleasant conversations, or art.
This philosopher also reminds us of the importance of never risking our health. We must always avoid what brings suffering into our lives.
Be sure to try this approach in practice!
Picture Credit: Pexels